Sculpture of a Dvarapala deity holding a sword and guarding the temple. Preah Khan (ប្រាសាទព្រះខ័ន) is northeast of Angkor Thom, built in the 12th century for King Jayavarman VII on the site of his 1191 victory against the invading Chăm, whose neighboring country alternately warred and collaborated with the Khmer. Preah Khan or “royal sword” is derived from its original name Nagara Jayasri, meaning “holy city of victory.” Battles with Chăm armies are also depicted in Bayon temple in Angkor Thom.
Preah Khan temple contains rectangular galleries around a Buddhist sanctuary, alongside satellite Hindu temples and other additions. Like nearby Ta Prohm, Preah Khan has been left largely unrestored.